Friday, July 5, 2013

July 5th ... First Pday


FAMILY! Hi, everyone! (Mom, will you forward this to the family and maybe put it on the blog? Thank you!)
 
Pday is today--FRIDAY. We don't have too much time to email, but I'll do my best to fit everything in!
 
The MTC is awesome. I feel like I'm living in a little bubble, but I'm getting used to the new life. Time here is kind of warped... I feel like I've been here for two weeks and it's only been two days! We weren't able to get unpacked and settled in our room until this morning because they were going to switch our room so that we could be closer to our zone, but we got tired of waiting for the approval so this morning we finally moved in. Because of that, I'm feeling more "at home" today.
 
My companion is a sweetheart. Her name is Siostra Montesinos. She's from Sandy, UT, but grew up in Chile because her dad is from there. He mom is from Poland, so she already speaks some Polish (score!). There are only six people in our district: Siostra Montesino and myself, Siostra Poklinkowski, Siostra King, and Elders Jaeger and Fogg. I think I am the oldest, but there are a couple who are about my age, which is nice. We are already good friends. Our teacher (we've only met one so far) is Bro. Tribe (Brat Tribe). He is AWESOME. Love him! He's excellent at conveying what he's trying to teach (he only speaks in Polish) and we've already learned SO much. We know how to introduce ourselves, greet others, and know several basic gospel words. The Polish classes are my favorite part of the day... I'm trying to soak in everything and I'm pretty good at pronunciation already. I'm feeling like it's possible to learn this language! Tomorrowwe have to teach our Polish "investigator" (Yola) a lesson. IN POLISH. Wish me luck!
 
The food's alright... last night I was so happy to find roasted turkey for dinner. That was the first meal that I really enjoyed, but I'm learning to branch out and not be so picky. I also found rice milk! I wasn't sure I was going to survive without my cereal. Because there are so many missionaries, dinner is at like 4:00, so I'm a little hungry at the end of the day (Taylor and Amanda would understand why!). So... maybe some granola bars, family? :) Thanks.
 
Last night we got to watch the fireworks from the MTC grounds. It was a little hard knowing that my friends and family were likely less than a mile away watching the same show, but I still enjoyed them. It was a nice break. AND they gave us those chocolate ice cream bars that Dad loves, which made me feel a little better. :)
 
My biggest challenge so far is being with someone 24/7. I love my companion already, but I'm just very used to being independent and doing things at my own speed. I'm having a hard time not rushing from place to place... I have a hurrying problem and I know it. But I'm sure that my experience here is going to teach me to slow down and relax a little. At least I have some good roommates that I enjoy being with, or else I think I'd be going crazy! Another challenge is not being "plugged in" to what my friends and family are doing... I guess I like to keep tabs on the people I love, but I never realized just how much! It's pretty nice not having a phone, though. Removing all distractions is really helpful when I'm trying to learn so much in such a short amount of time!
 
Like I mentioned, we only have a short time for emailing, but we have much more time to write. Sooo... handwritten letters would be much appreciated! That way I can just email the family for the most part on pdays.
 
I love you all and am so grateful for you. Chris, I've already written you a letter and will send it today. Mom and Dad, there's a brief letter in the mail already, but I doubt it will get sent until today because of the 4th. Come to think of it, it probably says the same things as this email for the most part. Our district leader is the only one who can pick up our mail, so hopefully he checks it often for me.
 
Sounds like you guys had a good 4th of July. I can't wait to hear more from you!
 
Love,
 
Siostra Tobler

No comments:

Post a Comment