If I'm being very honest, this week was a little rough for us here in Gdańsk. We contacted for a whole lot of hours and didn't see much success. Very few people were willing to answer a simple question on the street or even allow us to introduce ourselves. I started to feel a little bit like Alma during his attempt to preach to the people of Ammonihah the first time. Coincidentally enough, this morning as I studied from the Book of Mormon, I picked up where I left off--right at that very part of the story in Alma 8. In this chapter, Alma is weighed down and troubled by the work. Right when he needs it the most, an angel appears to him, telling him that there is great reason to rejoice because he's kept the commandments of God. Alma is then told to return to the land of Ammonihah, and he does so "speedily." As he returns, the Spirit of Lord is with him, leading him to Amulek and granting the two of them success in showing the power of God to the people there.
This morning, the "angel" of my own story was the fact that, right when I needed it the most, the Lord showed me during my personal study that I'm not in this work alone; that others have gone before me and have been successful against seemingly impossible odds. I was reminded that God is in control, and that the work will progress according to His timing and His plan. All I have to do is my best, just as Alma did. It's comforting to know that, as long as we are keeping His commandments, the Lord is pleased with us and we have "great reason to rejoice."
For culture night this transfer, we spent an evening in Sopot on the beach. That was a good time.
On Saturday, we spent some good time with Jadwiga as we visited Stutthof Concentration Camp. I usually don't do too well with those kinds of things... I get too sad! But it was good for me to learn about the history and the significance of the place. I also enjoyed hearing Jadwiga's many stories about family members during the War and how the War has impacted Poland and the Polish people. For all of the terrible things that happened at Stutthof, there was a very peaceful feeling in the camp that seemed to remind us that all is well and that God is in control.
(Watching a 30-min film about Stutthof)
(Brama Śmierci or "Death Gate")
(Jadwiga)
We are all anxiously awaiting this weekend. I'm sure there will be plenty to say next week, and chances are that I'll be writing from a new city! We'll see. Thanks for your love and help. I'm praying hard for you, family and friends! I love you! Have a great week.
xoxo,
Siostra Tobler
Siostra Tobler
No comments:
Post a Comment