Tuesday, February 18, 2014

"A broken head," the doctor said...


Hi! It's another beautiful day in Gdańsk. Spring seems to be right around the corner... we're "holding our thumbs" (Polish version of "fingers crossed")!

A couple of weeks ago, I sent a picture of a sorry Sister Tobler laying on the ground after falling and hitting her head. Remember that? Well.... the story continues. Last week, as well as this past week, I'd be having really bad headaches. More like one big fat continuous headache that ended up lasting over two weeks! This past Tuesday, after trying everything I could think of and still finding no relief from the monster, I decided to call Sister Edgren. Through a long series of events, I came to find out that that little tumble I took a while back resulted in a little concussion! I spent Wednesday and Thursday going to a few different doctors and ended up getting a CT scan in the sketchiest hospital I've ever seen... Sister Whiteley and I agreed that it would be the perfect set for a horror movie. Elder and Sister Tufts, as well as my sweet companion, sat and waited patiently with me for almost 8 hours in one day! Bless their souls. As a result, I'm extremely grateful for two things this week: moral support, and American health care. I'm finally feeling better. The headaches are almost gone, and I'm back to working full days. And.... pull-up bars may or may not be banned from the mission. My bad!

Aside from all that, we were able to meet with Ines this week, and she is still really progressing. On Friday evening, we taught her at her house. She fed us her normal apple cake and berry tea, and gave us more matching jewelry. We taught her about the Law of Chastity and the importance of having the Spirit with us always. She said that she'd been feeling sad because she didn't feel like she had the Holy Ghost with her. She also said she'd been thinking a lot about baptism this week. Sister Whiteley and I both felt that we should give her some space, so we made an agreement: we told her that we only need to teach her two or three more pre-baptism lessons, and that she can really think about it more and make a decision once she's been taught everything (Ines is a stress case and feels like she needs all her answers before baptism! Last time we talked about it, she said she'd need at least a year!). She agreed and we left it at that. But then something incredible happened. Once we were home for the night, we received a very special text message from Ines. She said that when she thinks about baptism, she feels joy and "her soul is happy," and that she officially wants to be baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ. She even closed "in the name of Jesus Christ, amen" as if she was bearing her testimony... it was the sweetest thing! I couldn't believe it. I love Ines with my whole heart. Sister Whiteley and I rejoiced, teared up, laughed at the cute way that she always phrases her texts, and then said a prayer of gratitude to Heavenly Father. We fasted and prayed recently for Ines to receive her answers, and I know that God heard and is answering our prayers!

I don't know that I've got a whole lot more to say this week. I'm looking forward to being able to work a lot harder now that I'm feeling better! Also, we find out about transfers (the 7-week "mini transfer" is next week!) this Saturday, so I'll keep you posted. Sister Whiteley and I are hoping that she doesn't leave! But, of course, we'll "come what may, and love it."

Thanks for your love and prayers! I can feel them from here! Have a beautiful week. CTR.

xoxo,
Siostra Tobler


                                            (Beautiful dock near the apartment)

A few of my favorite ladies in the branch: Janina, Jadwiga, and Irena. Eating cake after church for 
Jadwiga's birthday



                                            (The apartment complex on a sunny day.)

No comments:

Post a Comment